JOB TITLE: WATER DISTRIBUTION/SEWER COLLECTIONS OPERATOR
DEPARTMENT: UTILITIES DISTRIBUTION AND COLLECTION
FLSA STATUS: NON-EXEMPT
FULL TIME: YES
ON CALL: YES
JOB SUMMARY: Under the general supervision of the Utilities and Distribution Supervisor, the incumbent is to operate construction and maintenance equipment in support of a variety of maintenance activities including water and wastewater maintenance and repair; and to perform skilled maintenance tasks. Read water meters and record consumption and identify water meter equipment problems.
(This is not exhaustive and may be supplemented as necessary).
- Operate maintenance equipment such as cement mixers, skip loaders, backhoe, jet rodders, dump trucks, front-end loaders, jackhammers and various other equipment in support of a variety of maintenance and construction operations involving streets, sewers and water systems.
- Excavate sewer lines and mains; backfill upon completion.
- Perform the installation, maintenance and repair of water and wastewater mains and lines; make new water and sewer taps; build and raise manholes; build and replace valve boxes.
- Install, repair and replace fire hydrants, valves and thrust boxes; flush fire hydrants as required.
- Clean debris from ditches, culverts and creek beds.
- Collect and haul trash, garbage, debris, dirt, sand and gravel.
- Perform additional construction and maintenance task such as truck driving, jack hammering and a variety of minor repair activities.
- Transport construction equipment.
- Perform basic preventive maintenance on heavy and light equipment as required.
- Install street barricades and cones prior to the performance of repair activities; direct and control traffic around work sites; water down streets and flush drains.
- Direct and control traffic around work sites.
- Locate and read residential and commercial water meters on assigned routes; record readings and make necessary calculations. Requires walking at a brisk pace with periodic bending, stooping and kneeling.
- Determine consistency of meter readings; ensure that meters are registering properly; report to supervisor on meter conditions, defects and suspicious conditions.
- Provide water utility customer service including re-reading.
- Respond to and resolve customer requests, complaints and inquiries.
- Turn on or discontinue water services as required, exerting strenuous pulling motion on valve wrench.
- Perform meter maintenance and repair duties; replace or rebuild meters as necessary; clean or replace meter boxes when necessary. Requires the dexterity to use hand tools in small places while sitting, kneeling or lying beside meter boxes or in holes.
- Prepare a variety of operational reports related to water meter reading activities.
- Respond to emergency calls after hours.
- Learn to read a variety of water meters.
- Understand and utilize technology to assist in reading water meters.
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date records.
- Deal tactfully with the public.
- Lift and carry up to 100 lbs. and pulls, pushes and drags up to 150 lbs. of street repair equipment. While hooking up trailers and other equipment, crawls, climbs, kneels, squats, stoops and bends freely when driving or participating in water repair.
- Sits or stands for extended periods of time while driving or participating in water repairs.
- Hears clearly when working around equipment and in traffic.
- Works outdoors in extreme temperatures (100 plus heat) below freezing, cold and inclement weather.
- Some exposure to dust, fume and loud noises that are routinely encountered in street and alley maintenance operations.
- Use proper safety precautions.
- Responsible for the efficient and safe operation, care and appearance of assigned equipment.
- Follows written and oral job instructions.
- Uses good judgment to work safely and use equipment properly.
- Hears clearly and interprets hand signals when working around equipment and in street and alley traffic, using proper safety precautions.
- Serve on standby crew for after hour’s emergency work as required.
- Maintain appropriate uniform appearance and personal hygiene.
- Work overtime, holidays, and weekends as required.
- Must be able to serve on scheduled call rotation.
- Applicant shall be subject to a criminal background check.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, DEGREES, CERTIFICATES, AND/OR LICENSE:
High School Diploma or equivalent (GED). Possession of or the ability to obtain a valid Texas CDL Drivers License and a good driving record (Class A with tanker endorsement)
Possession of or the ability to obtain a Class “C” Distribution and a Collection II license issued by the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TECQ) within an appropriate time.
EXPERIENCE, TRAINING, KNOWLEDGE, AND SKILLS:
Two years of responsible experience performing street, water or wastewater maintenance work involving the skilled operation of heavy construction and maintenance equipment preferred.
Formal or informal education or training which ensures the ability to read and write at a level necessary for successful job performance.
Some water meter reading and/or water distribution system experience is highly desirable. Must have knowledge of general operational characteristics of water meters; pertinent policies, procedures and ordinances; safe work practices; pipe fittings needed for meters; and basic arithmetic principles. Must also possess a basic understanding of computer software and Microsoft Office Software.
Knowledge of the basic operation and maintenance requirements of light and heavy power-driven equipment. Basic practices, methods and materials used in general construction and maintenance work. Traffic laws, ordinances and rules involved in heavy equipment operations. Occupational hazards and standard safety practices.
STARTING SALARY $14.71 Hour.
EMPLOYEE BENEFITS: The City of Mineral Wells offers a competitive benefits package including but not limited to health insurance, short and long-term disability, vision and dental insurance, TMRS retirement, incentive pay, vacation, sick leave, and holidays.
HOW TO APPLY: Applications must be submitted on the City’s Application for Employment form, which is available from and returnable to: City of Mineral Wells, City Clerk/Personnel Office, P.O. Box 460, 115 S.W. First Street, Mineral Wells, TX. Applications are also available on the City’s website at www.mineralwellstx.gov/employment. Please call Jennifer Mitchell, HR Specialist at 940-328-7701 for further information.
THE DEADLINE FOR SUBMITTING AN APPLICATION IS OPENED UNTIL FILLED
Applications must be brought to the City Clerk/Personnel Office, or be postmarked no later than the deadline in order to be considered.
THE CITY OF MINERAL WELLS IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Press Release provided by the city of Mineral Wells
Founder | Self-taught in all forms of creativity with a passion for photography of landscapes and architecture. Devoted to helping the Mineral Wells community.